Saturday, May 11, 2013

Random Musings


I woke up early this morning to the sound of a light rain tapping on my window. It was nice to lay there knowing there was nothing on the agenda today. Since we arrived in Ketchikan, we haven't had a chance to just unwind. Between work and feeling as though we had to take advantage of the nice weather we were afforded this past week, we've constantly been on the go. The rain has come as a sort of blessing this weekend. Allowing for a much needed lazy day.

We finally decided to head out to a local coffee & pastry shop around 2 PM. As we sat there watching the rainfall and looking out into the thick fog that had made the ocean and mountains disappear, I couldn't help but think, "Is this really my life right now?" Ten days in, it is still hard to believe I am in Alaska. And the mountain-lined ocean still takes my breath away every time. The ocean was especially beautiful today as the rain poured into its blue-gray abyss. Anyway, as we were sitting in the small cafe enjoying our mocha nutella cappuccinos and a lemon danish (so yummy!), I realized just how lucky I have been these past few days. Not only because I get to live and experience this crazy Alaskan adventure, but also because I truly do love my rotation site and thoroughly enjoy work. 

I had some major breakthroughs at work this week. I'm getting better at rounding with the doctors with each passing day, which is an accomplishment in itself considering the blood probably drained from my face when Dr. Magee (Becky) first told us we'd be rounding. Also, I am beginning to realize that maybe I did learn something these past three years. I know more than I thought I did, and sometimes it bewilders me when random correct answers fly out of my mouth. It feels rewarding. Not as rewarding though, as when I counsel a patient who is enthusiastic about smoking cessation. I've had the opportunity to do about 4 counseling sessions this week, and each time I have a patient who is ready to commit to quitting, it feels like a personal victory. It's moments like those that reassure me that I am in the right line of work. When patients tell me they have to find a way to beat the addiction, whether it be for the sake of their own health or their baby girl at home, when they instill their trust in the fact that I will help them achieve their goal...I can't convey how rewarding that feeling is. I know it sounds crazy, but the counseling sessions have been the highlight of my week...and that's saying a lot, because, well...as I've tried to convey, everything else about this place is so amazing. Anyway, this week at work has made me realize I've found my niche. I really do love ambulatory care.

Part of the reason I think the counseling sessions go so well is because I make sure I am personable when I talk to my patients. I find that they are more attentive and responsive when they can relate to me. I don't know where I found the ability to do this because I've always been an introvert, but I find I am able to instantly share a comfortable rapport with the patients...so much so that they feel the need to open up to me - about work, their families, and their health concerns. Despite how frustrated and upset they may be, they seem to soften their edge when I talk to them and explain why their pain meds aren't ready. That's a good feeling...and it makes me believe that I chose the right career...and that just maybe, I'm going to be really good at this some day.

But enough about that...back to the craziness that is the fact that I am in ALASKA (it's just so hard to believe, really)! The weather was kind to us this week...warm and sunny and in the 60s. So it was only natural that we felt the need to seize the opportunity to go be one with nature....and we did. After work on Tuesday, we went hiking along Rainbird Trail which runs through the back end of town between work and home. Being only a 2/3 mile hike, it was a nice, easy way to unwind after a long day. It has to be said though that my muscles were still aching from the Deer Mountain expedition on Sunday...so parts of the hike were harder than they should have been. But Rainbird trail was simply other-worldly. The trail head was just a blocks hike from the somewhat busy streets of the city. As soon as we embarked upon the trail, we were transported to the depths of the rain forest, surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of fallen, decaying, moss-covered trees, and serenaded by the sound of water trickling down the streams as well as numerous birds singing an early evening lullaby. 

The trail itself was a scenic one though not always flat and perfectly mapped out thanks to the enormous tree-roots or fallen timbers which interjected themselves along the path. These only made the trek more enjoyable however, for we often found ourselves climbing over or ducking under a fallen tree...or, using the tree roots as stepping stairs to get across the many creeks cutting perpendicularly across the trail. 

Halfway into the trail, we were met with a fork in the wood. Two trails. One which led back to the center of the city, and one which continued deeper into the rain forest. We took the longer one...continuing into the forest. When we finally reached the end, we were met by a breathtaking view of downtown...and angle of the city that we hadn't yet seen. 

The end of the trail spit us out at what can perhaps be called Ketchikan's only mini-highway (if you can even call it that). We reached there shortly before sunset and set off in the direction of the city-center...and towards home.

***********************

I am in love with the food in this little city. On Monday we went to a place just a block behind our apartment called Chico's which specializes in Mexican...and are touted to have some of the best pizza in town. We opted for Mexican. I think it was the best Mexican food I have ever had, which is saying a lot since I've had plenty of incredible Mexican food in Texas. Before Chico's I used to dream and drool over the thought of Trudy's in Austin (their spicy black bean flaquities are to die for...really.) but I had to admit, Chico's is better. The food was a kind of fresh and flavorful that I've never experienced before.

That's the thing I've noticed about all of the restaurants here. They are all mom n' pop type local restaurants (the only fast food in town are an overpriced McDonald's and Subway) and the food is authentic and more importantly, fresh. The owners take pride in the food they serve, and they do it with a lot of warmth (which seems fitting for an almost always chilly Alaskan town). 

I've also noticed that many of the restaurants specialize in two completely different types of food. Apart from the Mexican joint that makes amazing pies, there is a place that combines Chinese food with Italian, a and an Irish pub (probably my favorite joint in all of Ketchikan) which combines the local favorite beer-battered fish and chips with delicatessen sandwhiches and a full espresso bar. Bottom line is, the food here is really good. I have been brave and been eating things I wouldn't dream of trying back home. After all, food is a big part of the culture of any place...I'd be missing out if I didn't partake (even had fish 'n chips for the first time last night. Took a lot of ketchup and malt vinegar to get it down, but I guess it wasn't so bad). Many more restaurants to try in the coming weeks...looking forward to it. 

******************

Alaska is magical. Wanna know why? Sometimes the fog settles between the mountains. I wish I was able to get a picture of it because it's hard to describe, but it's one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Imagine tons of tall mountain peaks staggered among each other...then imagine a thick layer of fog nestled deep within that mountainous valley....and otherwise clear blue skies all around. It is quite the site. Even Kim (one of the pharmacists at the clinic) said it's one of the coolest things about this place. She also assured us that it happens often, which is good, because that means I will have the opportunity to capture it with the lens....though, as usual, the lens won't do the view any justice.

As I said before, the sight of the mountains lining the ocean takes my breath away every time. I think this is because the mountains seem like a mirage to me...they seem so close that I could reach out and touch them...and at the same time, I feel as if they aren't really there at all. As if they are fake. I know it sounds weird, but I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the view. 

We've got just under 3 weeks left here. And lots still to do...experience...and take in. It's hard to believe I am living this life. I feel incredibly lucky and will sorely miss it when it's over. For now, I am simply trying to soak up every moment of it. The time is fleeting...no telling when I will have such experiences again...or if I ever will. In the meantime, I plan to make the most of each moment. 

PS: Sorry the posts are so long-winded...I have a lot to say...and I am trying to provide every detail of my life and experiences here. This has been and continues to be a wonderful journey...one which I wish to share with all of you. 

PPS: Pictures from Rainbird trail can be found here: http://amateurphotography101.shutterfly.com/pictures/1030 

No comments:

Post a Comment